Introducing WizEd
03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Introducing WizEd
Click here for the latest version of WizEd

It was recently I started to do some serious object placing in a level, and I realized how extremely poor the object placing capabilities currently are. So I had to do something about it.

WizEd is an old editor I started on a long time ago to do some things that DeleD couldn't -- but I hadn't touched it in years and kind of just let it languish. So I thought it was about time to do something about it.

WizEd loads DXS files, so you can use it interopably with DeleD. For the objects, it writes a new file format, BOP. It's really just an XML file that defines object placement in a level. WizEd will handle loading and saving the appropriate BOP for whatever DXS you are working with. (The game expects a level.bop file in the level's folder).

Right now the Object placement is probably the only useful capability, but work on geometry editing will be done in the future. It is also possible to write your own Import/Export plugins (to support more model formats), and to write geometry/object manipulator plugins.

I've created Visual Studio Project Templates for both types of plugins, and you can find them in the /utilities folder. Just copy those zip files to your /Documents/Visual Studio/Templates/ProjectTemplates/ folder, and they will show up in Visual Studio when you go to create New Project.

What do you think? Suggestions? Ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply